The investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie entered its third week on Monday with no publicly named suspects or persons of interest, as authorities continue to sort through a growing volume of tips and evidence. However, the latest public declaration is that all Guthrie family members have reportedly been cleared.
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said investigators are actively pursuing leads but emphasized that Guthrie’s family has been fully cooperative and is not under suspicion. “I’m not going to sit in silence when others are attacking the innocent,” Nanos told NBC News, adding that no family members are considered suspects in the case.
President Donald Trump again weighed in on the case, telling the New York Post that he would want the Justice Department to seek the death penalty if Guthrie were found dead. It remains unclear whether any potential prosecution would fall under federal jurisdiction.
According to Nanos, the sheriff’s office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation have now received between 40,000 and 50,000 leads related to Guthrie’s disappearance, a sharp increase from the roughly 30,000 tips authorities had previously acknowledged. The FBI is also offering a $100,000 reward for information that leads to Guthrie’s whereabouts or to the arrest of anyone responsible for her disappearance.
Investigators have also disclosed new developments related to physical evidence. Preliminary testing on gloves discovered about two miles from Guthrie’s home indicates the presence of DNA from an unknown male, authorities said. The gloves appear to match those worn by an individual captured in surveillance footage outside Guthrie’s residence. Officials said the FBI is awaiting official confirmation before entering the DNA profile into a national database in an effort to identify the individual.
On Monday, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department also pushed back on online speculation, stating that claims the case involved a burglary gone wrong — and reports suggesting otherwise — are false.